Skip to content

Can a non-permanent resident get a mortgage?

Jim Quist Mar 15, 2024 5:00:20 PM
Non-permanent resident mortgage

A non-permanent resident of the U.S. can get approved for a mortgage to buy a home. However, the process may have additional requirements compared to U.S. citizens.

In this article, I'll tell you which documents lenders require to approve conventional and FHA mortgages for non-permanent residents.


Do all mortgage lenders offer home loans to non-permanent residents?

Most lenders do not offer mortgages to non-permanent residents due to perceived risks. Still, some do, with limited options and stricter requirements.

Before searching for a home to buy, find an experienced lender to guide you on the documents needed to verify your legal residency status, income, and other relevant information.

NewCastle Home Loans offers conventional and FHA mortgages to non-permanent residents under the same terms available to U.S. citizens as long as you:

  1. Prove that you are legally present in the U.S.
  2. Qualify for the home loan by meeting the standard credit, employment, income, and cash-to-close loan requirements.
To prove that you are legally present in the U.S., you must have:
  • a Social Security Number 
  • a valid employment authorization document or work visa

The following table lists the acceptable non-permanent resident visas.  

Acceptable visas for non-permanent residents

Visa class



An individual seeking asylum in the U.S.

Pending asylum status refers to a person who applied and is waiting for the USCIS to grant asylum.

NewCastle Home Loans offers mortgages to homebuyers with asylum or pending asylum status.
Employment authorization document (EAD), or Form I-589, or Form I-730 and completed Form I-94
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) Employment authorization document (EAD)
  • E-1
  • E-2
An international trader or investor, spouse, and children. Employer-sponsored. Class E-1, E-2 visas
  • E-3
  • E-3D
An Australian specialty occupation worker, spouse, or child. Employer-sponsored. Class E-3, E-3D visas
  • G-1
  • G-2
  • G-3
  • G-4
  • G-5
A representative of a recognized foreign government to an international organization, staff, and immediate family. Class G-1 through G-5 visas and written proof from the U.S. Department of State that there is no diplomatic immunity
  • H-1B
  • H-1B1
  • H-2A
  • H-2B
  • H-4
A temporary worker in a specialty occupation, employer-sponsored. A spouse or child of a person classified H-1B/B1/C, H-2A/B, or H-3, Class H-4. Class H-1B, H-1B2, H-1B3, H-1B1, H-2A, H-2B H-4 visas
  • I
A foreign media representative, spouse, and child. Class I visa. Stamped Form I-94.
  • K-1
  • K-3
A partner/spouse of a U.S. citizen. Class K-1 or K-3 visas and evidence that Form I-485 was filed


  • L-1A
  • L-1B
  • L-2
Enables a U.S. employer to transfer an employee, spouse, or child from a foreign office to a U.S. office. Employer-sponsored. Class L-1A, L-1B, L-2 visas
  • NATO-1
  • NATO-2
  • NATO-3
  • NATO-4
  • NATO-5
  • NATO-6
  • NATO-7
A representative, official, or expert of a NATO member state, official staff, or immediate family. NATO-7 is a personal employee or immediate family. Class NATO-1 through NATO-5 visas and written proof from the U.S. Department of State that there is no diplomatic immunity
  • O-1
  • O-2
  • O-3
An individual with ability in the sciences, arts, education, business, or athletics. Sponsored. Individuals accompanying an O-1. Class O-1 through 0-3 visas
  • P-1A
  • P-1B
  • P-2
  • P-3
  • P-4
An athlete, entertainment group member, artist, essential support personnel, spouse, or child. Sponsored. Class P-1A, P-1B, P-2 through P-4 visas.
  • R-1
  • R-2
A religious worker, spouse, or child. Employer-sponsored. Class R-1, R-2 visas
  • Refugee
An individual who was persecuted or feared persecution due to race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular social group. Form I-590 with proper endorsement, or an approved Form I-730, and Form I-94 (arrival/departure record), and an EAD.
  • T-1
A victim of a severe form of human trafficking. Class T-1 visa
  • TN
  • TD
Nonimmigrant NAFTA professional, spouse, or child for Canadian and Mexican citizens. Employer-sponsored. Class TN visa or approval of TN non-immigrant status from a U.S. port-of-entry
  • V-1
  • V-2
  • V-3
Spouse or child of a legal permanent resident who is the principal beneficiary of a family-based petition (Form I-130) Class V-1 through V-3 visas

NewCastle Home Loans specializes in mortgages for qualified non-permanent residents. We offer lower mortgage rates and better service than the typical bank. 

View current rates  

Can a non-permanent resident get an FHA loan?

Non-permanent residents may be eligible to obtain an FHA (Federal Housing Administration) loan to purchase a home in the United States. Still, there are specific requirements they must meet.

First, you must have a Social Security Number.

Next, you must meet all FHA loan rules and the lender's requirements, including:

Then, you must prove that you can work in the U.S. by providing the lender with a copy of your employment authorization document (EAD), front and back, issued by the USCIS. For example, here's a sample employment authorization card. 

EAD Card Sample

If your EAD expires within the year, provide a copy of your previous expired EAD. If your renewal application is pending approval, provide a copy of the USCIS's temporary extension document.

For homebuyers with an H-1B visa and foreign workers in specialty occupations, provide a copy of your USCIS Form I-94 and evidence of employment by the authorized employer for at least one year. 

Homebuyers residing in the U.S. with refugee or asylee status granted by the USCIS must provide employment authorization, Form I-94 with refugee or asylum status, or Form I-797 indicating approval of a Form I-589.

Get pre-approved


Mortgage rules for non-permanent residents

Here's more information about the general mortgage rules for non-permanent residents.

Remember, each lender may have specific requirements and criteria for approving mortgage loans for non-permanent resident aliens. Some lenders may choose not to offer you a loan while others may have strict underwriting standards or internal policies that limit lending to specific borrower demographics, including non-permanent residents.

Talk to an expert at NewCastle Home Loan. Ask questions, get straight answers, and find out how to start on your home loan.

Book time to talk


Jim Quist NewCastle Home Loans
President and Founder of NewCastle Home Loans. Jim has been in the mortgage business for 20+ years.

Leave a Comment